Well we are almost half way through the 3rd roll and we will hit 500 hours

Yeah that is right we are just about half way thru the season and we will 498 hours be for the day of travel. So that is good news for Sarah and I because we will have some money saved up. But R and R was awesome for me bc I got to see my Sarah and we had a very relaxing time in Reno. This fire roll has been a lot more chill then the past two.

We are in the medacino national forest and we are about 3 hours from the town of clovail. It was a long bumpy and whindy road out to the fires edge. It was pretty awesome though while we were heading in we ended up right next to the smoke jumper landing zone. Which means that we were only about 50 feet off of their landing site, so we saw like 8 jumpers come landing next to the buggie. I think that it was really Cool but for those that are not in fire may not get that same feeling I did.

But any ways the first day was direct line in some not so steep areas but then after lunch it got steep and rocky. So you would think that we would have nothing to cut in thbr rocks but we actually had a ton more. It was a pretty tough day I was able to get at least 6 full saw tanks in so we did a lot of cutting that day. That night we got to camp out down by a private cabin with an outhouse so that was a change for all of us. This out house actually had a toilet seat to. Yippee! But the sleep was good even though we all had to sleep on rocks. I could hazard a bet that not one of you have ever used a 1/4 inch foam pad and sleeping bag on a bed of rocks to bed down for the night. For those of you that have you feel my pain for those that have not I DO NOT recommend it all ever. I was not able to sleep that great that night at all the only reason I fell asleep was bc of the work that day.

Second day we we're moved farther up the mt to do some direct line. Kind of a chill day just catching slop over the line and getting bucket drops all day to keep the fires edge in check. At the end of the day the line was barely secure and throughout that night two trees fell over the line causing two more slopovers and that is when we got split up into two squads and have been since. It is day 6 and we have been doing mop up ever since day 3.

Good night.

Day 7 was another mop up day but I just got to cut down a lot of big snags. It was a lot of fun I actually got a picture with woofy taking down a snag also. You will love it babe. But towards the middle of the day we got to hike out early bc we thought we were driving to another division but it turned out that we did not get to do that instead we are flying I will thake my phone but I will not gaurantee any pics

So onto a new division tomorrow and now I only have 7 more days till I get to hear my babyloves voice.

Day 11

We flew into div C and did a huge burnout with 3 other shot crews on top of a ridgetop. It was a burnout that started at 1700 and we left the line to bed down at 0200. But did not get to sleep until 0300. We we're told that we would get our 2:1 ratio of work to sleep but that did not happen bc we had to get up at 0800 to catch some slopover from the burnout. Luckily it did not start moving to fast so the slop was taking care of by noon. After that it was mop up of the burn and then a sweet little burnout with just our crew.

We are on day 11 now and we are at about 510 over time hours. So I would say we are officially halfway done with this season and that much closer to bring home with my family and friends

Comments

Anonymous said…
Eric,
Well, it seems like things have picked up since the slow start, huh? as usual, you give an interesting review of your day-to-day, and it's hard to tell if you are loving it or hating it, or maybe a bit of both? But I know it sounds hoRRible to me! You are greatly missed around here, and Michael was SO excited to turn the calendar to August, which meant we are getting closer to Octover (as he calls it) which is when you will be home! And Thomas has really started talking, saying lots of words that we can actually understand, including the loudest, longest version of "Mommmm-mmmmyyyyy!" that you have ever heard!
Stay safe and sound, and we'll talk to you on your next RnR, hopefully!
Love, Ker
ellen said…
Eric,

We fielded several calls to check and make sure you were OK. Thank Gad you are!!! Sarah was a wreck worrying about you!! Please, please, please stay safe, We all love you and miss you.

Mom and Dad
Anonymous said…
E! Good to hear an update. Grace and Andy both celebrated b'days and so we were missing you and thinking of you! Glad to hear you are safe and making the $ you were hoping to make. Even happier to hear that it is half way over!! Hope to talk to you soon! Miss you!