Day 3

SO as soon as I woke up my day turn to poop. I woke up and looked out the window and it had snowed 4 inches. I could deal with that knowing that there was snow on the ground, but then it kept on puking. I mean it did not stop snowing unitl about 3 pm. So when I got to work we were told told to gear up. That meant we had to get our packs, tool, and a lovely wet nasty cubie. Keep in mind a cubie is a cardboard box that holds a plastic container that holds 5 gallons of water. So the cardboard is getting torn to shreads all ready form the rain the previous day and just the amount of stress that we produce on the hike the day before. So anyway 13 of us drive to the ski hill (Birch hill, you may be able to see it on google maps if you zoom in enough..those of you that need help finding out where I live look at the runway on base all the way east then go just under gaffney rd and start there) but anyways we then drove to the hill and had to hike up it. It was not that bad a hike except for the fact it was very wet and slippery.

Surprisingly it was a rough hile for one of the rookies, becasue he ended up faceplanting in the snow like a dead fish. Apperently he has a condition, but we all think that that was his excuse to give up and quit. I mean he look totally fine when we got done with the hike. Oh well, non-the-less he has quit and we are down to 19. Well to be honest we are down to 18 because one of the returnees has some knee problems that gets him out of all the PT sessions. So as of now we are not to sure if he will be all healed up in two weeks....but we will wait and see.

After the hike we were done with morning PT. We then went to the boring class that we were all in and was bored out of our mind. But we did talk about a fire that we were on last yr (Poe Cabin, you can look it up on www.nifc.gov) that 3 Le Grande Hotshots got burned on only 7 days after we left that fire. So that was a very interesting part of the class that most of the midnight suns could particpate in much more then the Chena's could.

After class we went and did our night PT session. By this time it had stopped snowing and we were off to the races. We ran to the pull up bbar so we could do 4-5-6 pullups and 6-5-4 dips, but when the msg was passed form the fornt of the line to the back one of the rookies forgot the msg so we ended getting punished for that. We had to one legged squats until we could not feel our legs. Then we had to lunges until we could not feel that part of legs...then we got to do 7-8-9 pull-ups and 9-8-7 dips. So we were real happy with that rookie F$#@. Then we started off on our run where it was not that bad but we did have to stop and do 50 sit-ups in the snow and 71 push-ups in the snow....that was not pleasent....I would never recomend that if you do not have to...but you probably allready knew that.

Then we started to run back to base when that same F#^* yelled something to the jumpers when they were training so then a nice liesuely jog turned into a pretty good pace run....BS. But luckily PT ended early because we had to break up into squads to discuss jobs of particular people. I got the job of caring the weather kit. I got to punch of the tarp to one of the rookies and thank god I am not the f****** tool manager. So beside losing one allready things are going pretty smoth for me. I am not hurt I am sore as hell but not injured so I doign good stilll. I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope for good weather for all of those in IL and I need you to hope for a good fire season for me so I can make money and support my new family.

E

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds pretty awful, E! But I had to run 28 mins straight on the treadmill at the Y, and it was 72 degrees in there, so I was dying--and who's running next to me? Elizabeth! So it's pretty much like PT here, too! (Ha, ha) Oh, and last night Michael did the climbing class again, and he rocked! His feet were above my head, but when he looked down, he got too nervous. He climbed it about 8 times! Awesome!
Hang in there! Be nice to those *&$@ rooks! Love, Ker
Anonymous said…
thanks ker... I am happy to hear you are still running strong I wish you the best of luck this next week. Let me know how you do. and by the way Sarah is not expecting